Skip to main content

Photographing Macro [repost]

As many of my friends know, I have an addiction to photographing flowers, so when this email came into my inbox last week, I couldn't help but repost it!! It's got some great tips and it reminded me of what to think of when I'm shooting those small beauties.

To join Digital Photography 101's list at PEPhoto click here: https://pephoto.lifepics.com

Photo Tip #137: Photographing Spring Flowers
Spring Flowers


Greetings Fellow Photographers!


The seasons are changing again! Springtime in North America presents some incredible opportunities for taking photos as the snow melts, flowers bloom, and the weather warms up. Whether you step into your backyard for a little fresh air, or arrange a hike with your friends and family, try to spend some time outside in the coming weeks, and don't forget your camera!

Close Ups
You've probably seen some gorgeous close up photos of flowers and plants. A lot of these photos are taken when the flowers are in full bloom, but you can still capture some amazing close up shots of flowers as they are beginning to sprout and bloom. Consider investing in a macro photography lens for your DSLR camera, or set your camera to Close Up mode. If you want to try something a little more advanced, set your camera to Aperture Priority mode, and play around with different aperture settings. The aperture affects how deep or shallow your depth of field is in the photo. The higher the f-stop number, the deeper your depth of field will be. Experiment and have fun looking at the different results. Close Ups
Angles
A close up shot of a gorgeous Spring flower as the primary subject is a lovely shot, but try spicing things up a bit with your angles and perspective. For example, move the flower from the center to the corner of the frame, or shoot only part of the flower rather than the whole thing. Try shooting up or down at the flower, rather than straight on. Changing your angle and perspective can lead to a much more unique and interesting image. Consider using a tripod if you have one, especially for high aperture settings, which result in longer shutter speeds and are more susceptible to blur. Angles
Background

Backgrounds

In many cases, your background will be blurry or out of focus in a flower shot, especially in a close up. However, you still need to be mindful of what's behind (and in some cases, in front of) your subject. A blue flower close up will stand out much better against a red or white background, as opposed to a background of similarly-colored blue flowers. Or, and early yellow rose might be more vibrant with a blue sky in the background than the side of your house.

Weather Tips
Even though you've waited all winter for a sunny, warm day, your best shooting times are morning or evening, when the sun is low on the horizon. Overcast days are great for spring photography as well. Also, a windy day may cause blur in your flower photos. It is not necessarily a bad thing; blurred flowers can make stunning photos, but it's something to keep in mind. Bring something to block the wind, if possible. Pack for weather changes as well. Winter may be over, but rain or even snow storms can still creep up quickly this time of year. Make sure you have the proper clothing and protective gear for your equipment. Lighting
Digi's Inspiring Photos!
Throughout this year, I will share some of my favorite photos with you to give you a bit of inspiration and background information on how a photo was captured and created. Some may be photos I shot, while others might be from other pro photographers.




Inspire


This marco, or close up shot, was taken in some nice forest shade with just enough light coming into the scene to give it depth. The background, as in most close up work, is blurred out, but is a colorful counter to the subject, and shot at a very low angle, making the subject seem larger in the frame. This was shot with a DSLR and 60mm macro lens using all natural light.
Digi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Bath Salts

A few weeks back I added two posts for making your own face products. Along that same home-factory-idea line is the typical bath salt. I laugh when I see them in the store for $15, when it's often only $1 of Epsom or Sea Salt and a few drops of essential oil, plus $10 of preservatives you DON'T want on your body! I making salt baths more regularly after a car accident several years ago that left my back in a pretty poor state of health. I was taking a pain-bath about 3-4x a week and it helped immensely. Now I take them for all sorts of reasons: relaxation, menstral cramps, headaches, chest colds, aching muscles, and psoriasis flare-ups. The salt is the base to this so let's start there! SALT First, all salts are sea salts either mined as rock or evaporated from the saline solution. Sea salt is sodium chloride, and is used in cooking and cosmetics. "Dead Sea Salt" is proven to have the highest content of body-healing minerals it it, from the Dead Sea. Table s

Gluten-free Sourdough bread adventure

Throughout my decade of being gluten free, I had never heard this before, but recently at a friends house, I heard a rumor that the gluten in bread breaks down in the process of fermentation with sourdough. The study that this rumor has seemingly sprouted from was done on just 15 subjects in Italy. I won't get into how the wheat in the US is far different from the wheat in Europe, but suffice it to say, it's not the same. At first, this rumor was exciting. Could I actually have bread again? I was sure willing to try! So I took a chunk of my friends long-aged sourdough starter, fed it for a few days (that's the fun part!), and made some sourdough bread! Much to my dismay, the answer is no, I can not, but it sure was an exciting thought! I've been GF long enough to know the immediate physical sensations when I'm going to have a reaction, and I don't press my luck. I had a small piece of this DELICIOUS bread and gave it away, knowing full well tha

Gluten Free for Psoriasis

Recently I've been putting my researching brain cells to work on studying the Gluten Free way of life. Since the age of 14 I have had psoriasis, and recently it's been showing signs of progression to psoriatic arthritis, a progression that occurs in about 20-40% of the cases (studies are still incomplete, although the reverse is 80% of PA patients have had psoriasis, so the two are definitely linked). I've been tested for allergies in the 1980s (none), and I'm a pretty natural consumer as well, so I don't use body products with harmful ingredients like parabens or sulfates. Herbal and homeopathic remedies and dead sea salts have all helped reduce my inflammations, but have never eliminated the disorder completely. I was vegetarian for 7 years in the 1990s, and that never cleared up my psoriasis either. Because of its progression I've started researching the diet and how it relates to the disorder, and stumbled upon several articles and studies that now link