Skip to main content

One Month Grain Free!

They say the first month is the hardest, so I'm feeling pretty good that the first month wasn't actually that hard.  I won't lie, I went through a bad second-week chocolate withdrawal when my brain let go of that addiction, I had two straight weeks of adrenal fatigue, and getting used to making everything from scratch took some effort that I just barely had during that fatigue.  But coming out of the other end of that feels magnificent and the patches of psoriasis are already practically gone - and going gluten free didn't really affect them really at all - and when I pay close attention to the quality of the nuts I'm eating, and soak them, the arthritis has also been non existent.  I've finally started feeling like not only can I handle this for a short term (my naturopathic doctor said 6-12 months, probably more like 6 for me), I will likely take many of these practices with me far into my future food consumption.

Since I have taken the time to do some quality research this month, I thought it would help some to share.  The most eye-opening research I did was read Breaking the Vicious Cycle, learning about all the conditions that the Specific Carbohydrate Diet had worked for, and how the health of our intestines equally relates to the health of not only our immune system but our psyche as well.  SCD has been documented to work for auto-immune diseases like psoriatic arthritis and psoriasis, Chrohn's Disease, and MS (and more), as well as Autism and Schizophrenia - a concept also found in the GAPS diet (Gut and Psychology Syndrome), which is very similar.  The two centuries of medical studies listed in this book were worth reading it alone, but its resource section of recipes in the back is what I keep going back to it for.

In addition, the author has an online listing of the illegal foods that was very helpful during those first two weeks when I was still adjusting: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/legal/legal_illegal_a-c.htm 

A few more great recipe resources I've found are:
http://nourishedandnurtured.blogspot.com/2011/03/easy-grain-free-breakfasts-for-weekday.html


http://www.scdrecipe.com/recipes/
http://www.scdiet.org/2recipes/indexa.html
http://scdlifestyle.com
http://www.scdforlife.com/p/beyond-scd-repcipes.html
http://pecanbread.com/recipes.html
http://grainfreefoodie.blogspot.com/

Locally, we have some great resources as well.  
  • Moon Hill Dairy is where I now get my raw milk from to make yogurt.  On SCD you're not allowed to drink the liquid milk but I have to say I tasted it and it's delicious.  
  • Deep Roots is a great resource for recipes, buying local, and natural living.
  • The Weston A Price Foundation chapter in Steamboat is a new group that will be teaching the practices of this natural-food method as well. 
I've also purchased an Excalibur 5-tray dehydrator and dried bananas, pineapples, apples, pears, and zucchini, and will start making crackers out of seeds and yogurt chews.  And I've found that on Amazon, I can buy 16-count boxes of Lara Bars for $16 (1/2 the price of buying them singly locally) if I sign up for the auto-mail program, which I set first to 3-month increments and can cancel at any time.  Lara bars and other raw and seed bars have been saving me, since I do find that I need to eat something, even small, about every 2-3 hours.


One thing I've struggled with is eating out, and I've learned the hard way that there are better and worse choices for that.  Of course salads are always an option, but they get boring and don't fill me up.  One thing I've learned is that my body really does need a lot of the meat proteins, but I have to be careful on where that meat comes from and what the animal eat.  So I've been supporting the restaurants that buy local, grass fed meat the most, which feels good for our local economy anyway.  


So far so good!  Suggestions and links welcome! 

Comments

  1. Andy-
    I randomly came across your blog after searching for the SCDiet and psoriasis. I have psoriasis, but is not associated with arthritis at all. I put myself on a dairy free and gluten free diet (I have been on it for 30 days) and have seen no improvement. I tried the paleo diet, but didn't stick to it enough to know. My question is how has this been working for you? would you recommend it for someone with psoriasis? and what does the breaking the cycle book say about psoriasis? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Madelynn,
    After just 6 weeks now, my psoriasis has decreased about 70% already. I assumed I'd be on this diet for months, perhaps even a year, because I've had psoriasis since I was 14. I am also doing acupuncture, with specific work on the liver, and have always known that skin issues relate to that organ, but things like dandelion tea just never helped.
    If you can stick to the SCD/paleo diet, I would. It's so worth it. The SCD diet book is also worth getting, as yes, it does talk extensively about psoriasis, and many many other disorders that this diet has proven to help.
    I hope that helps you, good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Bath Salts

A few weeks back I added two posts for making your own face products. Along that same home-factory-idea line is the typical bath salt. I laugh when I see them in the store for $15, when it's often only $1 of Epsom or Sea Salt and a few drops of essential oil, plus $10 of preservatives you DON'T want on your body! I making salt baths more regularly after a car accident several years ago that left my back in a pretty poor state of health. I was taking a pain-bath about 3-4x a week and it helped immensely. Now I take them for all sorts of reasons: relaxation, menstral cramps, headaches, chest colds, aching muscles, and psoriasis flare-ups. The salt is the base to this so let's start there! SALT First, all salts are sea salts either mined as rock or evaporated from the saline solution. Sea salt is sodium chloride, and is used in cooking and cosmetics. "Dead Sea Salt" is proven to have the highest content of body-healing minerals it it, from the Dead Sea. Table s

Gluten Free for Psoriasis

Recently I've been putting my researching brain cells to work on studying the Gluten Free way of life. Since the age of 14 I have had psoriasis, and recently it's been showing signs of progression to psoriatic arthritis, a progression that occurs in about 20-40% of the cases (studies are still incomplete, although the reverse is 80% of PA patients have had psoriasis, so the two are definitely linked). I've been tested for allergies in the 1980s (none), and I'm a pretty natural consumer as well, so I don't use body products with harmful ingredients like parabens or sulfates. Herbal and homeopathic remedies and dead sea salts have all helped reduce my inflammations, but have never eliminated the disorder completely. I was vegetarian for 7 years in the 1990s, and that never cleared up my psoriasis either. Because of its progression I've started researching the diet and how it relates to the disorder, and stumbled upon several articles and studies that now link

Gluten-free Sourdough bread adventure

Throughout my decade of being gluten free, I had never heard this before, but recently at a friends house, I heard a rumor that the gluten in bread breaks down in the process of fermentation with sourdough. The study that this rumor has seemingly sprouted from was done on just 15 subjects in Italy. I won't get into how the wheat in the US is far different from the wheat in Europe, but suffice it to say, it's not the same. At first, this rumor was exciting. Could I actually have bread again? I was sure willing to try! So I took a chunk of my friends long-aged sourdough starter, fed it for a few days (that's the fun part!), and made some sourdough bread! Much to my dismay, the answer is no, I can not, but it sure was an exciting thought! I've been GF long enough to know the immediate physical sensations when I'm going to have a reaction, and I don't press my luck. I had a small piece of this DELICIOUS bread and gave it away, knowing full well tha