Skip to main content

The MacGyver Long Term Vegetable Storage

IDEA: This summer I made a temporary vegetable storage "device" in my master bathroom window.

The premise is that we joined a vegetable co-op last spring that brought fresh organic veg up from Palisade, CO every week from June until December, and while we got just enough of some items, potatoes, squash, peppers, and others were so plentiful we had to start thinking about storage.

We have a small ranch style house with a carport and minimal storage. No basement, attic, garage, etc. We have plenty of closet space, but after further research with thermometer and humidity gauge, the closets weren't optimal for storage.

Temperature and humidity are the key to storing home grown vegetables. The three combinations for long-term storage are cool and dry (50-60˚F / 10-15˚C, 60% relative humidity), cold and dry (32-40˚F / 0-4˚C, 65% relative humidity), and cold and moist (32-40˚F / 0-4˚C, 95% relative humidity). In ideal circumstances, vegetables can store up to 4 to 6 months depending on the item.

Some homegrown vegetables, such as cucumbers and peppers, require cool and moist conditions. These are hard to maintain and usually yield a shorter shelf-life. For those, I decided the best thing to do was jar them, so we made four big batches of salsa and two batches of gazpacho this summer~ a first!

But for storing the potatoes and squash, which require cool and dry conditions, I decided to make a storage unit adjacent to a small window so I could regulate the temperature with the outside temp, since the inside alone is too warm, and the outside would get too cold in our winters.

I created a cardboard box the size of my window, cut a small door in it for easy access, and cut the backside off the box so the window became the backside of the "unit," regulating its heat. The box was large enough that it sticks out a little from the window shelf, but not too large so that it doesn't fall off. Then I created darkness (also a must) in the box with a thick piece of fabric, cracked the window, and began testing the humidity and temperature. (sorry, no photos)

Overall, the unit's first season did great. Thanks to Colorado's low humidity, the unit averaged about 55-60%, which is on the low side, (we don't want to dry out our veg completely!) but when the storms rolled in, (or I take a shower!-it is in the bathroom), I've noticed it can creep up to 70%. Our vegetables lasted 3 months, which is great for a first start.

The temperature of the unit stayed constant at about 60˚F which is on the high side, and indeed I would notice mold occasionally as it started and remove the potato or squash immediately.

Although this did require weekly watching, the MacGyver Long Term Vegetable Storage was a success and we're still eating last summer's home grown organic vegetables! Beats Safeway in Colorado in February by a long shot!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten Free for Psoriasis

Recently I've been putting my researching brain cells to work on studying the Gluten Free way of life. Since the age of 14 I have had psoriasis, and recently it's been showing signs of progression to psoriatic arthritis, a progression that occurs in about 20-40% of the cases (studies are still incomplete, although the reverse is 80% of PA patients have had psoriasis, so the two are definitely linked). I've been tested for allergies in the 1980s (none), and I'm a pretty natural consumer as well, so I don't use body products with harmful ingredients like parabens or sulfates. Herbal and homeopathic remedies and dead sea salts have all helped reduce my inflammations, but have never eliminated the disorder completely. I was vegetarian for 7 years in the 1990s, and that never cleared up my psoriasis either. Because of its progression I've started researching the diet and how it relates to the disorder, and stumbled upon several articles and studies that now link...

My switch to all natural Henna - Part 3

I am not exaggerating when I say I have been loving the switch to all natural Henna, and I have eagerly awaiting the next round with Teresa - the trooper that she is for going through this with me! Since October's posts [in case you missed Part 2 or Part 1 ], purchase, and treatment, I have had tons of comments on the color and health of my hair... Henna has - no question - improved the overall body and hydration of the hair strands and health of my scalp as well as giving it a more natural color tone than I've had since I started coloring it red 4 years ago. After the first dye, I went back to the girls at Mountain Hair Studio here in Steamboat and had them give me a once-over. While it didn't totally blend the full length of my hair (Teresa cut off about 3-4" of the dead ends, but the bottom 5-6" of my sternum-length hair still had darker, merlot colored ends), there were no "hot roots," and the tone looked more natural, continuing to settle f...

DIY Baby Sling

1st Disclaimer: This isn't my idea. But it's a great one for a baby gift in hard economic times nonetheless, that is if you've got the crafty DIY gene like I inherited from mom! The link above is to the initial pattern I found online for a baby sling from KarmaBaby, but I'm here to make that process a little more easy on you. I had to enlist SuperMom for translation, so I'll take the liberty in assuming you won't quite understand KarmaBaby's pattern either... Let's get crackin'! You'll need: two yards of fabric of a slightly stretchy/giving cotton blend (she suggests 90% cotton/10% lycra, but my all-cotton worked fine). sewing machine and thread, this pattern's so easy a hand-held sewer will work, but don't translate that to "sew this by hand", that won't be quick or easy. Handhelds are just that, a small version of a sewing machine you hold in your hand. measuring tape sharp scissors 2nd Disclaimer: My images are with wh...