Skip to main content

Budget Squeeze: Making Your Own Face Products

Since living on a "sustainable community" in Oregon I have had a very strict rule on body products and their usual "fillers" and preservatives; I use organic and natural products, from toothpaste to shampoo, and I don't budge on it. Thankfully now those products easier to find and even makeup can be found au-naturale, but it wasn't always so. Even still, those products are usually more expensive than non-natural products depending on brand name, and now is the time to consider shrinking your budget while you can. A great way to do this is to make your own face scrub and toner.

I had this idea last February and hosted a "Girls Night" where we actually made it together, making it even more fun, and I still have "leftovers!" I'm going to break this Idea into two posts, so first, while that Valentines bouquet is just starting to wither, let's make the toner.

I got this recipe from The Woman's Book of Healing Herbs (Harrar and O'Donnell) and adore it. Herbalist Shatoiya de la Tour from Dry Creek Herb Farm is quoted as saying "Whenever I meet an older woman with beautiful skin, I ask her what she uses... [and most] often the answer is simply apple-cider vinegar."

I've now been using this toner for a year and my skin feels tighter and my small monthly acne breakout has completely disappeared!

INGREDIENTS FOR FACIAL TONER:
NOW:
8oz Dried or 16 oz Fresh Herbs and Flowers
16oz Apple Cider Vinegar
16 oz jar with tight lid

LATER:
Distilled Filtered Water
Witch Hazel
12 oz Plastic Cosmetics Bottles

This is a two-part recipe where the toner "steeps" for 3 to 6 weeks, so combine all of the "NOW" list into one jar, close tightly, date it, and set in a dark cabinet that you come to often so you can shake it occasionally.

Tips for Part 1:
  • Fresh roses are only good if they smell - some factory (more inexpensive) flowers simply don't smell. Roses are the best.
  • Flowers and Herbs great for the face: Comfrey (tightening and cleansing), Calendula (soothing and antibacterial), Chamomile (repairing), Lavender (the original shampoo, from Latin lavre meaning to wash), Rosemary (tightening), but there are plenty more.
  • Label the ingredients on the bottle
  • Make the toner on a new moon and let steep until next new moon for best intentions
  • Take dried or fresh herbs from your own garden, or as mentioned, use some of the flower petals from your bouquets.
  • You can open up tea bags such as Green Tea and Chamomile for herbs.
After the Toner has steeped for a moon cycle (-ish), pour the bottle through a strainer to remove the herbs and flowers. Set this aside as your "mother batch," it will last up to 2-2 years. The mother batch might develop what's called a "mother layer" on the vinegar that is a coating that can be removed but doesn't affect the quality of the toner.

Then dilute:
1 tsp Witch Hazel
1/4 cup of Mother Batch Vinegar
2 cups Distilled Filtered Water

Apply after washing with a cotton ball or pad or store in misting bottle for spritzing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Bath Salts

A few weeks back I added two posts for making your own face products. Along that same home-factory-idea line is the typical bath salt. I laugh when I see them in the store for $15, when it's often only $1 of Epsom or Sea Salt and a few drops of essential oil, plus $10 of preservatives you DON'T want on your body! I making salt baths more regularly after a car accident several years ago that left my back in a pretty poor state of health. I was taking a pain-bath about 3-4x a week and it helped immensely. Now I take them for all sorts of reasons: relaxation, menstral cramps, headaches, chest colds, aching muscles, and psoriasis flare-ups. The salt is the base to this so let's start there! SALT First, all salts are sea salts either mined as rock or evaporated from the saline solution. Sea salt is sodium chloride, and is used in cooking and cosmetics. "Dead Sea Salt" is proven to have the highest content of body-healing minerals it it, from the Dead Sea. Table s

Gluten-free Sourdough bread adventure

Throughout my decade of being gluten free, I had never heard this before, but recently at a friends house, I heard a rumor that the gluten in bread breaks down in the process of fermentation with sourdough. The study that this rumor has seemingly sprouted from was done on just 15 subjects in Italy. I won't get into how the wheat in the US is far different from the wheat in Europe, but suffice it to say, it's not the same. At first, this rumor was exciting. Could I actually have bread again? I was sure willing to try! So I took a chunk of my friends long-aged sourdough starter, fed it for a few days (that's the fun part!), and made some sourdough bread! Much to my dismay, the answer is no, I can not, but it sure was an exciting thought! I've been GF long enough to know the immediate physical sensations when I'm going to have a reaction, and I don't press my luck. I had a small piece of this DELICIOUS bread and gave it away, knowing full well tha

Gluten Free for Psoriasis

Recently I've been putting my researching brain cells to work on studying the Gluten Free way of life. Since the age of 14 I have had psoriasis, and recently it's been showing signs of progression to psoriatic arthritis, a progression that occurs in about 20-40% of the cases (studies are still incomplete, although the reverse is 80% of PA patients have had psoriasis, so the two are definitely linked). I've been tested for allergies in the 1980s (none), and I'm a pretty natural consumer as well, so I don't use body products with harmful ingredients like parabens or sulfates. Herbal and homeopathic remedies and dead sea salts have all helped reduce my inflammations, but have never eliminated the disorder completely. I was vegetarian for 7 years in the 1990s, and that never cleared up my psoriasis either. Because of its progression I've started researching the diet and how it relates to the disorder, and stumbled upon several articles and studies that now link