Skip to main content

Growing indoors all winter long... in Colorado??

Ever since the first time I saw one of these systems, I thought, "yes, one day you will have one of
those."  The day has arrived.

That first time was three years ago, when the Juice Plus Company first released The Tower Garden® as their newest product of their short list of healthy living items, and a friend came in to the Yampa Valley Sustainability Council's monthly meeting to show it off.  It wasn't just me. Everyone in the room went, "oooooh," "ahhhhh." Granted, this was a warm audience - a room packed with gardeners, local-foodies, and health nuts - but we oooh'd none the less.

For lack of space in our previous quaint home, we held off even though the Tower Garden takes up a total of maybe six square feet.  But as soon as we moved into our new home in December I knew, come fall, we'd be putting together our first Tower Garden®.  And we just did.

Let me backtrack a little; we love to garden.  As soon as the snow melted this year we began working on our three garden beds in our new yard, and all summer long we grew a lush supply of herbs, lettuces, squash, carrots, beets, beans, and more.  Despite our high mountain short growing season (50-70 days if we're lucky), Craig and I have been gardening together for nearly five years.  We love knowing where our food comes from, love putting the effort into it, and love the health it brings us. And we are set to build a greenhouse before the snow flies if possible so that we can extend that short season even longer. So we won't discontinue our outdoor crops, but supplementing them through winter is going to be splendid.

The Tower Garden® is a miracle in itself. Developed by Tim Blank, a native farmer turned inventor thanks to an inspiring trip to The Land in Disney's Epcot, the system is an aeroponic vertical grow tower that uses no dirt, 10% of the water that traditional gardening uses, and grows plants in 1/3 of the time.  Blank has been working around the clock on getting the Tower Garden® out into the world since its release, and his biggest boasts are a Tower Garden® farm atop a New York restaurant and one in the O'Hare Airport.  The 5-tiered system can be extended as far up as you have space and water-pump to go, and make the most of a small interior space because of that vertical design.

But it's great for a family, couple, or individual too.  The system is extremely easy to set up, comes with every part needed and more accessories optional if you desire, and has a timer system so you can even leave your Tower Garden® for days without worrying about watering it while you're gone. It's a great learning system for children, from planting seeds to naming plants to harvesting their fruit, schools around the country are adopting this easy system to educate with as well as even supply some food for the lunchroom. Our own Steamboat Springs Middle School has two of them.

Personally, I'm so excited for not only our own Tower Garden®, but for what's going on at our local Ski Area, too.  My dear friend Liz who is Food and Beverage Director for Steamboat Ski Area is into gardening as much as I am, and she supports local food and growing your own whenever she can. Liz got just as excited about the Tower Garden® as I did and is now the proud owner of three of them for her on-mountain restaurants - the harvests will be integrated into their food system as soon as the ski area opens at the end of next month.  Watching these grow will be just as fun as watching ours, knowing that extended reach this learning and growing tool will make in our community and all those that visit here.

This is just the beginning!










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Bath Salts

A few weeks back I added two posts for making your own face products. Along that same home-factory-idea line is the typical bath salt. I laugh when I see them in the store for $15, when it's often only $1 of Epsom or Sea Salt and a few drops of essential oil, plus $10 of preservatives you DON'T want on your body! I making salt baths more regularly after a car accident several years ago that left my back in a pretty poor state of health. I was taking a pain-bath about 3-4x a week and it helped immensely. Now I take them for all sorts of reasons: relaxation, menstral cramps, headaches, chest colds, aching muscles, and psoriasis flare-ups. The salt is the base to this so let's start there! SALT First, all salts are sea salts either mined as rock or evaporated from the saline solution. Sea salt is sodium chloride, and is used in cooking and cosmetics. "Dead Sea Salt" is proven to have the highest content of body-healing minerals it it, from the Dead Sea. Table s

Gluten-free Sourdough bread adventure

Throughout my decade of being gluten free, I had never heard this before, but recently at a friends house, I heard a rumor that the gluten in bread breaks down in the process of fermentation with sourdough. The study that this rumor has seemingly sprouted from was done on just 15 subjects in Italy. I won't get into how the wheat in the US is far different from the wheat in Europe, but suffice it to say, it's not the same. At first, this rumor was exciting. Could I actually have bread again? I was sure willing to try! So I took a chunk of my friends long-aged sourdough starter, fed it for a few days (that's the fun part!), and made some sourdough bread! Much to my dismay, the answer is no, I can not, but it sure was an exciting thought! I've been GF long enough to know the immediate physical sensations when I'm going to have a reaction, and I don't press my luck. I had a small piece of this DELICIOUS bread and gave it away, knowing full well tha

Gluten Free for Psoriasis

Recently I've been putting my researching brain cells to work on studying the Gluten Free way of life. Since the age of 14 I have had psoriasis, and recently it's been showing signs of progression to psoriatic arthritis, a progression that occurs in about 20-40% of the cases (studies are still incomplete, although the reverse is 80% of PA patients have had psoriasis, so the two are definitely linked). I've been tested for allergies in the 1980s (none), and I'm a pretty natural consumer as well, so I don't use body products with harmful ingredients like parabens or sulfates. Herbal and homeopathic remedies and dead sea salts have all helped reduce my inflammations, but have never eliminated the disorder completely. I was vegetarian for 7 years in the 1990s, and that never cleared up my psoriasis either. Because of its progression I've started researching the diet and how it relates to the disorder, and stumbled upon several articles and studies that now link