Skip to main content

Addicted, and yet so removed

Ashamedly, I haven't written a post in over a month. Now, I write three other blogs as well as for Examiner on a regular (or sometimes no-so regular) basis, but that doesn't mean my Ideas have diminished, so where have I been?

Especially when I have recently learned that I am, indeed addicted to the internet, sad but true. Read that article, and tell me if you are too... but this point dawned on me when we were just recently in NYC for a few days and our (gasp!) phones went out. Both of them. With no way to Tweet my awesome experiences, I felt detached from the world, my friends, and my online family. Yet I've only been a member of Twitter for about a year- so what did we do before these online social networks? My only answer is, Who cares?

I was actually turned on to the above Addicted article through reading an article on America-the No Vacation Nation, where I realized a sad but very real point, that we are working our country to death. I already think we watch too much tv- so much so that our newest generation is riddled with ADHD, and yet I have a 42" plasma that uses way too much electricity in my living room. Worse, it is the focal point of our living room. Every chair in it points to the glowing God.

I can point the finger in so many directions; we eat so much sugar our kids not only have ADHD they have obesity and diabetes, we are so lazy we drive to the neighbor's house two blocks away, we are overworked that we rarely take vacations and feel guilty for leaving the office at 4pm on Friday, we are so under schooled that our spelling and reading levels are declining at a rapid rate... You get my point, I'm not jaded, we're just a nutty country that has taken a few wrong turns.

But I live in paradise up in the woods, rarely read the paper or watch the news, don't have kids of my own, try to meditate and practice yoga daily, and spend a lot of time outside in all seasons. I feel so removed from many of the problems of our country that when I DO read articles like No Vacation, I am shocked, disappointed, saddened, and helpless.

So, at a loss for ideas apparently (since having not written one down since September 2nd!), I give to you a challenge instead (Pick one):

  • Take more vacation, even if it's just to Grandmother's house because that's all that fits into your budget.
  • Spend more time outside, even if it's cold and windy and you hate iceskating.
  • Follow the Life Is Good Motto: Do what you like, and like what you do. If you have always dreamed of being a photographer or a nurse or an expert scrapbooker, teach a class, take a class, and follow your dreams.
  • Read more. It expands your vocabulary. Join a book club for new ideas and new friends.
  • Spend less time on the internet. I'm going to leave my desk RIGHT now for at least two hours, and I don't feel guilt about it one bit.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Bath Salts

A few weeks back I added two posts for making your own face products. Along that same home-factory-idea line is the typical bath salt. I laugh when I see them in the store for $15, when it's often only $1 of Epsom or Sea Salt and a few drops of essential oil, plus $10 of preservatives you DON'T want on your body! I making salt baths more regularly after a car accident several years ago that left my back in a pretty poor state of health. I was taking a pain-bath about 3-4x a week and it helped immensely. Now I take them for all sorts of reasons: relaxation, menstral cramps, headaches, chest colds, aching muscles, and psoriasis flare-ups. The salt is the base to this so let's start there! SALT First, all salts are sea salts either mined as rock or evaporated from the saline solution. Sea salt is sodium chloride, and is used in cooking and cosmetics. "Dead Sea Salt" is proven to have the highest content of body-healing minerals it it, from the Dead Sea. Table s

Gluten-free Sourdough bread adventure

Throughout my decade of being gluten free, I had never heard this before, but recently at a friends house, I heard a rumor that the gluten in bread breaks down in the process of fermentation with sourdough. The study that this rumor has seemingly sprouted from was done on just 15 subjects in Italy. I won't get into how the wheat in the US is far different from the wheat in Europe, but suffice it to say, it's not the same. At first, this rumor was exciting. Could I actually have bread again? I was sure willing to try! So I took a chunk of my friends long-aged sourdough starter, fed it for a few days (that's the fun part!), and made some sourdough bread! Much to my dismay, the answer is no, I can not, but it sure was an exciting thought! I've been GF long enough to know the immediate physical sensations when I'm going to have a reaction, and I don't press my luck. I had a small piece of this DELICIOUS bread and gave it away, knowing full well tha

Gluten Free for Psoriasis

Recently I've been putting my researching brain cells to work on studying the Gluten Free way of life. Since the age of 14 I have had psoriasis, and recently it's been showing signs of progression to psoriatic arthritis, a progression that occurs in about 20-40% of the cases (studies are still incomplete, although the reverse is 80% of PA patients have had psoriasis, so the two are definitely linked). I've been tested for allergies in the 1980s (none), and I'm a pretty natural consumer as well, so I don't use body products with harmful ingredients like parabens or sulfates. Herbal and homeopathic remedies and dead sea salts have all helped reduce my inflammations, but have never eliminated the disorder completely. I was vegetarian for 7 years in the 1990s, and that never cleared up my psoriasis either. Because of its progression I've started researching the diet and how it relates to the disorder, and stumbled upon several articles and studies that now link