Skip to main content

Point-and-Shoot 101: Focus

Many weeks ago I posted a blog on Point-and-Shoot cameras describing some simple uses and settings that often go un-utilized. Today I'd like to take that a step further and show you some additional tips on focusing and depth-of-field.

I've always been a fan of a blurred-out-background (or foreground) when shooting in macro, this setting is usually a flower symbol on your camera, but knowing how this actually happens within your camera will help you remember how to make it happen in the photo while using the camera's innate tools.
A camera is like the pupil on your eye; to let in more light, it grows; to let in less light on a bright day, it shrinks. There are two tools on the camera that make this happen: the F-Stop and the Aperture. The F-stop is the hole size of that "pupil", or shutter opening, however it seems backwards: the larger the number, the smaller the hole... eg: f5.6 will let in a TON of light and raise your aperture (the time length of shutter opening) to 500 or higher, making the shutter open 1/500th of a second. FAST. The higher that number, the faster the shutter opens and shuts, making the picture super sharp for action shots. To capture humans, the lowest that aperture number can be is about 1/60. Opposingly, if you set the f-stop to a high f18 or 26, the hole will be tiny, letting in a small amount of light, and thus lowering your aperture timing to a slower snap such as "30" or really 1/30th of a second.

That's a mouthful, I know, but here's what it boils down to: the smaller the f-stop, the wider the refraction, and thus, the wider range of focus. Remember, the smaller f-stop is the higher number.

Most point and shoot cameras have a manual or partially manual setting allowing you to change one or the other or both of those settings. But if you don't want to mess around with numbers, watch what the numbers do when you put it on the macro (flower symbol) setting versus the landscape (mountain symbol) setting. Macro will be f5.6 and 1/500 (or so), getting only what's 5 or so feet in front of you in focus, while landscape will get everything in focus (elluding to the mountain ranges hundreds of miles away) from here to eternity, and the settings will look more like f18 and 1/60 (or so).

In addition to Macro, there is also usually a "portrait" (head symbol) setting that will do similar to the Macro setting, what's in the distance will blur out, leaving you with a nice focused face that the background doesn't distract from.

Now get out there and fool around with those numbers- what I were taught in college was to take a small notebook with me and make notes of the photo number and the setting I chose. While the digital age gives us the tools to look immediately, the viewfinders don't always show you the smaller detail, so I'd suggest doing this as well the first few times you play with these settings so you get the feel of the results. Writing things down often sinks them in for me.

Shoot often to shoot well!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Bath Salts

A few weeks back I added two posts for making your own face products. Along that same home-factory-idea line is the typical bath salt. I laugh when I see them in the store for $15, when it's often only $1 of Epsom or Sea Salt and a few drops of essential oil, plus $10 of preservatives you DON'T want on your body! I making salt baths more regularly after a car accident several years ago that left my back in a pretty poor state of health. I was taking a pain-bath about 3-4x a week and it helped immensely. Now I take them for all sorts of reasons: relaxation, menstral cramps, headaches, chest colds, aching muscles, and psoriasis flare-ups. The salt is the base to this so let's start there! SALT First, all salts are sea salts either mined as rock or evaporated from the saline solution. Sea salt is sodium chloride, and is used in cooking and cosmetics. "Dead Sea Salt" is proven to have the highest content of body-healing minerals it it, from the Dead Sea. Table s

Gluten Free for Psoriasis

Recently I've been putting my researching brain cells to work on studying the Gluten Free way of life. Since the age of 14 I have had psoriasis, and recently it's been showing signs of progression to psoriatic arthritis, a progression that occurs in about 20-40% of the cases (studies are still incomplete, although the reverse is 80% of PA patients have had psoriasis, so the two are definitely linked). I've been tested for allergies in the 1980s (none), and I'm a pretty natural consumer as well, so I don't use body products with harmful ingredients like parabens or sulfates. Herbal and homeopathic remedies and dead sea salts have all helped reduce my inflammations, but have never eliminated the disorder completely. I was vegetarian for 7 years in the 1990s, and that never cleared up my psoriasis either. Because of its progression I've started researching the diet and how it relates to the disorder, and stumbled upon several articles and studies that now link

Gluten-free Sourdough bread adventure

Throughout my decade of being gluten free, I had never heard this before, but recently at a friends house, I heard a rumor that the gluten in bread breaks down in the process of fermentation with sourdough. The study that this rumor has seemingly sprouted from was done on just 15 subjects in Italy. I won't get into how the wheat in the US is far different from the wheat in Europe, but suffice it to say, it's not the same. At first, this rumor was exciting. Could I actually have bread again? I was sure willing to try! So I took a chunk of my friends long-aged sourdough starter, fed it for a few days (that's the fun part!), and made some sourdough bread! Much to my dismay, the answer is no, I can not, but it sure was an exciting thought! I've been GF long enough to know the immediate physical sensations when I'm going to have a reaction, and I don't press my luck. I had a small piece of this DELICIOUS bread and gave it away, knowing full well tha