Skip to main content

Wedding Season 101 - Part 3 - DECOR

This was one topic I struggled with for sure... table cloths and color accents? Window decor with light catchers? Hanging lamps or additional lighting? Chair covers? Flowers on the table, tall or short? Placecard colors and font? OMG!

It was overwhelming once we'd decided on our location because the options were limitless and we didn't have a wedding planner to help make those decisions. Personally, I'm more of a simple person, and our budget wasn't limitless (as most people's aren't) so I struggled between wanting to make it beautiful and frankly not giving a damn. :)

So I met myself somewhere in between, and I think so should you...

GENERAL DECOR
First, go back to your colors. What are your bridesmaids wearing, what colors did you choose for flowers, or what are your favorite colors in general? Typically those snappy wedding experts say to stick with only 2-3 colors, unless you want it to look like a circus, and marry (excuse the pun) those colors with your overall theme/season. So if you have an accent color and can afford to bring that into the reception such as runners on the table that match the placecards, then do, especially if your table cloths are white.
We went with white table cloths on the tables, green cloths on the accent tables (cake table, cards table and the photo table, which I'll get to), and green napkins to keep it simple. We used yellow, red and orange flowers on the tables, but kept them low so people could talk over them by floating them in small bowls with water and for ambiance. We also named each table after a local mountain range, using photographs that we took of them. We did not use chair covers, seeing them at other weddings made me want them, but they just seemed frivolous to me; money I'd rather spend on booze!

THE BEST IDEA
As for the photo table, we had some good ideas there I'd like to share. First, we made collages of ourselves with old pictures we had the moms send us to scan. We had them printed professionally on foam board, but you can make a collage a million ways; the point was that it was nice for our guests to see the lives of both of us, especially for the sides of the family that didn't grow up with one of us. We also put old wedding pictures of our parents and grandparents on this table in their own frames. This was one of my favorite additions of the decor for sure. As the night progressed, I watched guests pour in over this table, laughing, pointing, joking, and overall enjoying that we shared our pasts with them.

To keep on the photo theme, we also put table cameras on the tables for fun, and in hindsight, this was an expensive laugh but a good one. I made a collage book of just table camera photos (we had about 20 cameras total, but each cost about $10 total for developing and purchase), but now 3 years later it's the professional shots I still go back to look at. So if your budget is slim, I'd skim this one off, it was funny, but a little frivolous. And in the chat rooms of my photographer peers I've read many a comment with that same sentiment, not as much bang for your buck if you're thinking of doing either-or; definitely don't skimp on hiring a professional photographer. This picture is a perfect example of what we got from our nonpro shooters!

Other quick addition ideas that make the room bright:
1. We toyed with the idea and never used this, but it would have made our sunset even more spectacular if we had! (right) My mom found these hanging decorations that had white butterflies strung together with a crystal prism at the end. She gave us one as a sample and it still hangs on our deck door, catching the light of the sun as it sets in that direction. There were dozens of windows in the reception hall we used, so hanging these throughout the room would have made a great colorful addition.

2. Candles ~ a dear friend made a candle for us with the invitation we sent out, a beautiful touch we though, and it made me think we could have added taller candles throughout for more ambiance. Hindsight is 20-20! The candles we had on the tables were great though, and a lot cheaper than buying taller ones.

3. Cake Options ~ we went with a traditional cake, and this is technically part of the FOOD topic, which I'm skipping entirely because frankly, that's a four parter in itself, but this is a fun topic to play with so I want to think outside the box here... cakes are expensive, and we were pretty set on staying with one ourselves, but one of the best budget wedding ideas I've seen is forgoing the cake and doing cupcakes instead. To give credit where it's due, The Bringuels did this at their wedding and made it look like a cake, tiered and all, but in fall colors on chocolate cakes, it was truly a site of which I didn't photograph unfortunately (the only wedding of 21 we've been to that I forgot my camera!).

4. Last but not least, remember, everyone will be way too drunk to remember whether you had seat covers, matching napkins, or a fancy cake. :) Hopefully.


First three photos courtesy Jessica Maynard Photography

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Bath Salts

A few weeks back I added two posts for making your own face products. Along that same home-factory-idea line is the typical bath salt. I laugh when I see them in the store for $15, when it's often only $1 of Epsom or Sea Salt and a few drops of essential oil, plus $10 of preservatives you DON'T want on your body! I making salt baths more regularly after a car accident several years ago that left my back in a pretty poor state of health. I was taking a pain-bath about 3-4x a week and it helped immensely. Now I take them for all sorts of reasons: relaxation, menstral cramps, headaches, chest colds, aching muscles, and psoriasis flare-ups. The salt is the base to this so let's start there! SALT First, all salts are sea salts either mined as rock or evaporated from the saline solution. Sea salt is sodium chloride, and is used in cooking and cosmetics. "Dead Sea Salt" is proven to have the highest content of body-healing minerals it it, from the Dead Sea. Table s

Gluten-free Sourdough bread adventure

Throughout my decade of being gluten free, I had never heard this before, but recently at a friends house, I heard a rumor that the gluten in bread breaks down in the process of fermentation with sourdough. The study that this rumor has seemingly sprouted from was done on just 15 subjects in Italy. I won't get into how the wheat in the US is far different from the wheat in Europe, but suffice it to say, it's not the same. At first, this rumor was exciting. Could I actually have bread again? I was sure willing to try! So I took a chunk of my friends long-aged sourdough starter, fed it for a few days (that's the fun part!), and made some sourdough bread! Much to my dismay, the answer is no, I can not, but it sure was an exciting thought! I've been GF long enough to know the immediate physical sensations when I'm going to have a reaction, and I don't press my luck. I had a small piece of this DELICIOUS bread and gave it away, knowing full well tha

Gluten Free for Psoriasis

Recently I've been putting my researching brain cells to work on studying the Gluten Free way of life. Since the age of 14 I have had psoriasis, and recently it's been showing signs of progression to psoriatic arthritis, a progression that occurs in about 20-40% of the cases (studies are still incomplete, although the reverse is 80% of PA patients have had psoriasis, so the two are definitely linked). I've been tested for allergies in the 1980s (none), and I'm a pretty natural consumer as well, so I don't use body products with harmful ingredients like parabens or sulfates. Herbal and homeopathic remedies and dead sea salts have all helped reduce my inflammations, but have never eliminated the disorder completely. I was vegetarian for 7 years in the 1990s, and that never cleared up my psoriasis either. Because of its progression I've started researching the diet and how it relates to the disorder, and stumbled upon several articles and studies that now link