Skip to main content

Purple Gluten Free Gnocchi - YUM!

I'm a proud Italian, so one of the things I've missed the most since going gluten free is pasta. I know there is "rice pasta" out there, but I've yet to try it; my regular store doesn't carry it, and I just haven't gone out of my way yet to find it. I will; but I also own my own pasta maker so I plan to try that, and in the meantime I have always loved making- and eating!- gnocchi the best.

Having a potato base and not many other ingredients, gnocchi is a pretty easy recipe to alter for gluten-free. So today I ventured into the kitchen to try out a recipe I found on the Celiac home site (from Paula Santos), but as usual, I've decided to alter it, and am happy with the results.

This recipe also doesn't call for milk, with margarine instead. My bible Italiana - the Silver Spoon - has eight gnocchi recipes in it, and the Gnocchi Alla Bava is without milk, also using butter. So I gave this recipe the ok- the rest call for a LOT of milk, and I've used soy in the past for those. It does call for a little parmesan, which doesn't bother me as much as milk, but it is also optional. Your choice.

Ingredients

2 lb cooked mashed PURPLE potatoes (right)
1 cup white rice flour
¾ cup potato starch
¼ cup corn starch
1 tablespoon margarine
1 tablespoon grated parmesan (optional)
2 eggs
salt


Preppin' the Taters
First, I learned, on the TV show House of all things, that baking the potatoes dries them out better than boiling or steaming, for obvious drier reasons, and thus making the gnocchi hold together better. Don't bother to peel the potatoes first, just poke a few holes and bake them for 60-90 minutes. The recipe calls for 2 lbs, but I made all the rest of the purple potatoes we had from our CSA (fun!), and plan on freezing some pasta for the future. Always the best plan! When they're soft to poke with a fork, half them, and let them cool. Then scoop out the center and put in a bowl.


Directions
Mix all ingredients with hands. Knead lightly. Shape small portions of the dough into long snakes. On a floured surface, cut snakes into small pieces. Place a few gnocchi in salted boiling water. As the gnocchi rise to the top of the pot, remove them with a slotted spoon. Repeat until all are cooked. Cover with hot tomato sauce and serve.


Added bonus tonight!
A dear friend dropped off two packs of ground elk meat yesterday, so I'm using my homemade marinara with some elk meat on the top. The Silver Spoon has some great marinara sauces, as did my great-grandmother- my mother made her sauce by the gallons and froze them, so we always had fresh sauce for pasta. I suggest you do the same; Ragu just doesn't taste the same! But if that's all you've got, spruce it up with some red wine and fresh herbs!

I also plan on trying a lactose free white sauce so you can see the purple gnocchi better, so stay tuned for that!


Fun last question:
How does YOUR family say Gnocchi? My great grandmother, who handed her own Italian recipes down to my mother, always said it "yNawwki" and I love all the different ways to say it. :)


(And for those who've been following along and are curious, I will likely stay fairly gluten free forever- my psoriasis is nearly gone, I figure a few more months and the last of the patches will slowly disappear!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Bath Salts

A few weeks back I added two posts for making your own face products. Along that same home-factory-idea line is the typical bath salt. I laugh when I see them in the store for $15, when it's often only $1 of Epsom or Sea Salt and a few drops of essential oil, plus $10 of preservatives you DON'T want on your body! I making salt baths more regularly after a car accident several years ago that left my back in a pretty poor state of health. I was taking a pain-bath about 3-4x a week and it helped immensely. Now I take them for all sorts of reasons: relaxation, menstral cramps, headaches, chest colds, aching muscles, and psoriasis flare-ups. The salt is the base to this so let's start there! SALT First, all salts are sea salts either mined as rock or evaporated from the saline solution. Sea salt is sodium chloride, and is used in cooking and cosmetics. "Dead Sea Salt" is proven to have the highest content of body-healing minerals it it, from the Dead Sea. Table s

Gluten-free Sourdough bread adventure

Throughout my decade of being gluten free, I had never heard this before, but recently at a friends house, I heard a rumor that the gluten in bread breaks down in the process of fermentation with sourdough. The study that this rumor has seemingly sprouted from was done on just 15 subjects in Italy. I won't get into how the wheat in the US is far different from the wheat in Europe, but suffice it to say, it's not the same. At first, this rumor was exciting. Could I actually have bread again? I was sure willing to try! So I took a chunk of my friends long-aged sourdough starter, fed it for a few days (that's the fun part!), and made some sourdough bread! Much to my dismay, the answer is no, I can not, but it sure was an exciting thought! I've been GF long enough to know the immediate physical sensations when I'm going to have a reaction, and I don't press my luck. I had a small piece of this DELICIOUS bread and gave it away, knowing full well tha

Gluten Free for Psoriasis

Recently I've been putting my researching brain cells to work on studying the Gluten Free way of life. Since the age of 14 I have had psoriasis, and recently it's been showing signs of progression to psoriatic arthritis, a progression that occurs in about 20-40% of the cases (studies are still incomplete, although the reverse is 80% of PA patients have had psoriasis, so the two are definitely linked). I've been tested for allergies in the 1980s (none), and I'm a pretty natural consumer as well, so I don't use body products with harmful ingredients like parabens or sulfates. Herbal and homeopathic remedies and dead sea salts have all helped reduce my inflammations, but have never eliminated the disorder completely. I was vegetarian for 7 years in the 1990s, and that never cleared up my psoriasis either. Because of its progression I've started researching the diet and how it relates to the disorder, and stumbled upon several articles and studies that now link