Skip to main content

Point and Shoot 101: Contrast and Lighting

This weekend in Nashville I gave my mother a 101 lesson on her point-and-shoot, and decided much of this information could be useful to others... as I've said in my other two P&S101 posts (1) (2), most people don't have time to read their entire camera manual, especially when the device works just fine with Power, Autoflash, and the Automatic setting. But the auto setting isn't going to let you learn, in fact sometimes it will just frustrate you into thinking your camera isn't as good as your friend's camera because her pictures come out way better. Perhaps, or perhaps you just aren't using your camera to its fullest capacity.

Here are the points we went over this weekend together, and what mom learned...

1)The basic settings: Use the dial and alternate settings (under "menu" or "function") as your primary tools:
a) the face is for portraits (usually focusing on just the image in front of you, blurring out the background)
b) the mountain is for landscapes (focusing on everything, whether it's landscapes or not!)
c) the flower (which might not be on your dial but a button somewhere else on the back or side of the camera) is for shooting macro- SUPER up close pictures NEED this setting or they will be blurry
d) the running man or kids/pets setting is for quick action (look for a layered square as well, which will allow you to shoot many images while holding the shutter, so far I haven't found this to be an automatic for the running or action settings, but it should be!)
e) night image (a function on my dial, but in "SCN" or scene on some cameras) will bring out the colors and balance the flash in a night setting
f) indoor (also under SCN on many PnS's, sometimes called "party") is a huge helper for balancing the lighting inside- sometimes called Tungsten, this is the orangy light we get from light bulbs, which the indoor setting automatically switches to
g) other SCN settings are beach/snow- balances out the white of the snow and sand, fireworks- which operates way better for fireworks than that night setting will, and foliage- which will make the colors of trees and other foliage much brighter by strengthening the "contrast."
h) timer and speed shutter - these are on the same button for mine, and are for most Canons. New PnS's have custom timers, where you can set it to 2 or 10 or 20 seconds while you're running out to the rocks above the waterfall to get the "self". The speed shutter is also a huge helper for sports, it's the layered-box icon I mentioned above, and will allow you to hold the shutter and snap 5-to-infinity pictures (depending on your model) while the runner or skier or child is zooming past you.

2. Advanced Settings
Under P, TV, AV, M, and C settings on your dial, you can adjust...
a) the aperature- this fraction number is for how long the shutter stays open and signifies a fraction of a second. The smaller the fraction, the faster the shutter speed, meaning i) the less light you let in and ii) the less blurry the photo
b) the f-stop- this is the number with the f before it, signifying the size of the hole that the shutter opens to. Adversely, the smaller the number, the larger the hole, and the smaller the number, the larger the hole. Small holes make everything in focus- Landscape is shot in f12-20 or so. Large holes make only the focal point of your image in focus- Portraits are shot in f4-f10.
c) the white balance- choose from sun, shade, clouds, tungsten, white fluorescent, flash, or auto to shoot under these circumstances. If you don't, your picture will likely be off when it comes to light.
d) the color/contrast- choose from monochrome (black and white), sepia (old western brown), neutral, vivid, portrait/skin tone, or a variety of others for these circumstances to enhance the photos even more.
e) the ISO- this is the film speed, a setting carried over from the 35mm days, and quite useful in shooting indoors or under low lighting. Use 100 for full sun, 200 for clouds, 400 for bright action, 800 for low light or low light action, and 1600 only if you absolutely need it, as the higher the number, the more pixelated your image will be.
f) the focal point- choose evaluative, partial, center, or spot to have the camera help decide what should be in focus. In a PnS, if your camera seems to be taking control of your image or flipping back and forth too much between subjects of different distances, change this setting to spot or center so that when you push the shutter down half way to focus on the humans or subject matter, the camera won't fluctuate when you snap the shot.
g) the lighting/AV balance- on some cameras this is a +/- icon, and if you hold that down while turning a control dial, you will make the image lighter or darker. I use this setting inside, in shady situations, and on black animals.

Hope this helps you make the most of your camera without reading the manual! I know mom's pictures already look better because she's no longer afraid to screw around with the buttons!

Good luck, and happy shooting!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Bath Salts

A few weeks back I added two posts for making your own face products. Along that same home-factory-idea line is the typical bath salt. I laugh when I see them in the store for $15, when it's often only $1 of Epsom or Sea Salt and a few drops of essential oil, plus $10 of preservatives you DON'T want on your body! I making salt baths more regularly after a car accident several years ago that left my back in a pretty poor state of health. I was taking a pain-bath about 3-4x a week and it helped immensely. Now I take them for all sorts of reasons: relaxation, menstral cramps, headaches, chest colds, aching muscles, and psoriasis flare-ups. The salt is the base to this so let's start there! SALT First, all salts are sea salts either mined as rock or evaporated from the saline solution. Sea salt is sodium chloride, and is used in cooking and cosmetics. "Dead Sea Salt" is proven to have the highest content of body-healing minerals it it, from the Dead Sea. Table s

Gluten-free Sourdough bread adventure

Throughout my decade of being gluten free, I had never heard this before, but recently at a friends house, I heard a rumor that the gluten in bread breaks down in the process of fermentation with sourdough. The study that this rumor has seemingly sprouted from was done on just 15 subjects in Italy. I won't get into how the wheat in the US is far different from the wheat in Europe, but suffice it to say, it's not the same. At first, this rumor was exciting. Could I actually have bread again? I was sure willing to try! So I took a chunk of my friends long-aged sourdough starter, fed it for a few days (that's the fun part!), and made some sourdough bread! Much to my dismay, the answer is no, I can not, but it sure was an exciting thought! I've been GF long enough to know the immediate physical sensations when I'm going to have a reaction, and I don't press my luck. I had a small piece of this DELICIOUS bread and gave it away, knowing full well tha

Gluten Free for Psoriasis

Recently I've been putting my researching brain cells to work on studying the Gluten Free way of life. Since the age of 14 I have had psoriasis, and recently it's been showing signs of progression to psoriatic arthritis, a progression that occurs in about 20-40% of the cases (studies are still incomplete, although the reverse is 80% of PA patients have had psoriasis, so the two are definitely linked). I've been tested for allergies in the 1980s (none), and I'm a pretty natural consumer as well, so I don't use body products with harmful ingredients like parabens or sulfates. Herbal and homeopathic remedies and dead sea salts have all helped reduce my inflammations, but have never eliminated the disorder completely. I was vegetarian for 7 years in the 1990s, and that never cleared up my psoriasis either. Because of its progression I've started researching the diet and how it relates to the disorder, and stumbled upon several articles and studies that now link