Skip to main content

Travel ideas and more...

Today we're on our way to Miami for the No Barriers Festival and it reminded me to share the many travel ideas we've gathered along the way! Our travels take us far and wide, and some of these ideas make us feel like we're not that far from home.

1. Lists. If you're an organizer, think about making "packing lists" based on the type of trip (we have business, vacation, and camping lists). We were forever scribbling on Post-Its before our trips and forgetting something every time, when I finally realized I could write a master list that we could add to any time and save sheet after sheet of yellow sticky paper. To take it one green step further, print out the lists and laminate them, then cross off what you've packed with a grease pencil and clean it off when you're done! Make one for every family member so they're in charge of their own belongings and forgotten items!

2. Drier Sheets. My favorite trick for the suitcase and keeping clothes fresh, I usually bring 6 or more fresh dryer sheets so that if I do laundry along the way, the clean clothes will stay fresh too and I have a dryer sheet to use as well! When I pack, I layer the sheets between 2-3 articles of clothing, either folded or in the garment bag, to combat that musky suitcase smell. I also put a sachet of lavender in the bag for those nights I might not be able to sleep and it doubles as a scenter for the clothes, too.

3. Shower Caps for dirty shoes. This one's great for muddy trips, camping, places where shoes aren't allowed or other instances that will require protection of some item (either dirty, wet, or scratchable) either for or from your other packed goods.

4. Empty Duffel Bag. This is an old standby you may have forgotten about... When we're going somewhere far where we know we'll bring home presents (great idea for fall trips and Christmas preparation!), we stuff a duffel bag in the suitcase pocket so we're not scrambling to fit everything within weight limit for our existing bags, or pay extra for shipping.

5. The Gifts. Along these lines of buying ahead for xmas, think of gifts that are unique and pretty inexpensive to the area such as a local specialty like pecans, marmite, or Spanish olives; the local sports team for your sports fans; or indigenous stones set in local styled jewelry for the ladies in your life.

6. Printed mailing labels. This one might sound funny in this day and age of technology, but everyone still loves postcards- our friend sends one from Hawaii every time he goes, although we're pretty sure he's just rubbing it in... However, when I don't have room in my bag for the address book and I'm leaving my US-only smartphone in the car at the airport (with relief!) then this idea RULES for me. Depending on how long you're gone or how many cities or sites you are visiting, print 1-3 labels for mom, grandma, sister, and BFF so when you see the perfect postcard for them, you just peel and go!

7. Copies of Passport & ID. This is a must; make sure you keep them in a different place than your actual copies or give them to the hotel or local contact to keep in case of emergency.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Bath Salts

A few weeks back I added two posts for making your own face products. Along that same home-factory-idea line is the typical bath salt. I laugh when I see them in the store for $15, when it's often only $1 of Epsom or Sea Salt and a few drops of essential oil, plus $10 of preservatives you DON'T want on your body! I making salt baths more regularly after a car accident several years ago that left my back in a pretty poor state of health. I was taking a pain-bath about 3-4x a week and it helped immensely. Now I take them for all sorts of reasons: relaxation, menstral cramps, headaches, chest colds, aching muscles, and psoriasis flare-ups. The salt is the base to this so let's start there! SALT First, all salts are sea salts either mined as rock or evaporated from the saline solution. Sea salt is sodium chloride, and is used in cooking and cosmetics. "Dead Sea Salt" is proven to have the highest content of body-healing minerals it it, from the Dead Sea. Table s

Gluten-free Sourdough bread adventure

Throughout my decade of being gluten free, I had never heard this before, but recently at a friends house, I heard a rumor that the gluten in bread breaks down in the process of fermentation with sourdough. The study that this rumor has seemingly sprouted from was done on just 15 subjects in Italy. I won't get into how the wheat in the US is far different from the wheat in Europe, but suffice it to say, it's not the same. At first, this rumor was exciting. Could I actually have bread again? I was sure willing to try! So I took a chunk of my friends long-aged sourdough starter, fed it for a few days (that's the fun part!), and made some sourdough bread! Much to my dismay, the answer is no, I can not, but it sure was an exciting thought! I've been GF long enough to know the immediate physical sensations when I'm going to have a reaction, and I don't press my luck. I had a small piece of this DELICIOUS bread and gave it away, knowing full well tha

Gluten Free for Psoriasis

Recently I've been putting my researching brain cells to work on studying the Gluten Free way of life. Since the age of 14 I have had psoriasis, and recently it's been showing signs of progression to psoriatic arthritis, a progression that occurs in about 20-40% of the cases (studies are still incomplete, although the reverse is 80% of PA patients have had psoriasis, so the two are definitely linked). I've been tested for allergies in the 1980s (none), and I'm a pretty natural consumer as well, so I don't use body products with harmful ingredients like parabens or sulfates. Herbal and homeopathic remedies and dead sea salts have all helped reduce my inflammations, but have never eliminated the disorder completely. I was vegetarian for 7 years in the 1990s, and that never cleared up my psoriasis either. Because of its progression I've started researching the diet and how it relates to the disorder, and stumbled upon several articles and studies that now link