Skip to main content

Budget Idea: Save on Gas

Seeing this Segway today made me think about all the things we've done to save on gas; not just during this past year, we've been trying to lessen our dependence on oil for years. It's hard, but possible. Let me share our top ideas along with this awesome video to get your idea wheels turning...



.... this guy's brilliant, complete with his briefcase, likely traveling downtown to home after work on the mountain, judging from his direction. Segways are so much fun - IF used for transportation instead of an excuse not to walk.

Gas might be only $1.80/g right now, but you can bet we'll see another spike again this summer.
So on to the ideas- simple, green, or downright crazy, take your pick!

1. When I first got my Toyota Tacoma, I was a little guilty about the gas mileage. Though published (as usual) at a 18-22 city-hwy m/g rating, the Tacoma actually only got 15-18 when I started tracking my "Mountain Girl". After several months (6-10) of data gathering, I found that the rumors were true; if I waited till she was empty to fill her up, those last few gallons sunk my mileage considerably- as low as 10-12m/g on that last gallon. Ouch. But if I used 1/2 a tank and filled it, then I could get 16-18 even in the city, and definitely 18-19 on the highway. So start by putting a small notebook in your car and keep a journal with date, gallons filled, miles since last fillup, and equating the two into your m/g to see where your vehicle stands for a few months. Then start filling it up at 1/2 a tank and see how those #s go up!


2. I read in one of my crystal books that if I taped quartz points- preferably double terminated, meaning pointed at both ends - to the gas line I could save about 2 miles per gallon. One company sells them as "orgone energy boosters." So I put this wacky idea to the test shortly after I got the Tacoma, and have been doing it ever since. I taped three small crystals onto the cool pipes of the gas line and took data for six months. Sure enough, I was getting more like 16 where I used to get 14 m/g. Similarly on the highway, I was actually getting more like 20.

When I took my truck into the shop for an oil change, Mikey didn't laugh as I expected him to. He said he'd heard of that before, and seen it on one other car in the valley. Apparently the crystals inate peizoelectric energy helps increase the flow of gasoline through the lines. It could also be the way gas is created that makes this work... but hey, if it works, it works. You should cleanse these crystals in filtered water about once a year.


3. An obvious yet perhaps the hardest one: use the alternative options to driving yourself such as the bus (free in Steamboat, so a no brainer), your bike/walk (also easy in the 'Boat with a 7 mile path that stretches the length of town), metro or train, or carpool.

Even if it's just one day a week or just on Earth Day, make a point to leave your car at home when it's possible and reduce your cost of gas.


4. Go Biodeisel. If you drive a deisel truck, this is the time of year to start thinking about biodeisel. Many areas are seeing this option increasingly- even Steamboat has a company that provides it now in the summer months. Winter's aren't so easy up here, as the biodeisel freezes at a much lower temperature and needs to be cut with regular deisel.

Don't try this on your own without some great mentoring, but poke around your area to see if someone is offering biodeisel as an option and get in for the details. Talk about the ultimate reduction of dependence on foreign oil.


5. Here are some other easy tips to increase gas mileage from increasing the proper functioning mechanics of your vehicle. http://www.ajc.com/wireless/content/business/stories/2008/04/07/gastips_0408.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Bath Salts

A few weeks back I added two posts for making your own face products. Along that same home-factory-idea line is the typical bath salt. I laugh when I see them in the store for $15, when it's often only $1 of Epsom or Sea Salt and a few drops of essential oil, plus $10 of preservatives you DON'T want on your body! I making salt baths more regularly after a car accident several years ago that left my back in a pretty poor state of health. I was taking a pain-bath about 3-4x a week and it helped immensely. Now I take them for all sorts of reasons: relaxation, menstral cramps, headaches, chest colds, aching muscles, and psoriasis flare-ups. The salt is the base to this so let's start there! SALT First, all salts are sea salts either mined as rock or evaporated from the saline solution. Sea salt is sodium chloride, and is used in cooking and cosmetics. "Dead Sea Salt" is proven to have the highest content of body-healing minerals it it, from the Dead Sea. Table s

Gluten-free Sourdough bread adventure

Throughout my decade of being gluten free, I had never heard this before, but recently at a friends house, I heard a rumor that the gluten in bread breaks down in the process of fermentation with sourdough. The study that this rumor has seemingly sprouted from was done on just 15 subjects in Italy. I won't get into how the wheat in the US is far different from the wheat in Europe, but suffice it to say, it's not the same. At first, this rumor was exciting. Could I actually have bread again? I was sure willing to try! So I took a chunk of my friends long-aged sourdough starter, fed it for a few days (that's the fun part!), and made some sourdough bread! Much to my dismay, the answer is no, I can not, but it sure was an exciting thought! I've been GF long enough to know the immediate physical sensations when I'm going to have a reaction, and I don't press my luck. I had a small piece of this DELICIOUS bread and gave it away, knowing full well tha

Gluten Free for Psoriasis

Recently I've been putting my researching brain cells to work on studying the Gluten Free way of life. Since the age of 14 I have had psoriasis, and recently it's been showing signs of progression to psoriatic arthritis, a progression that occurs in about 20-40% of the cases (studies are still incomplete, although the reverse is 80% of PA patients have had psoriasis, so the two are definitely linked). I've been tested for allergies in the 1980s (none), and I'm a pretty natural consumer as well, so I don't use body products with harmful ingredients like parabens or sulfates. Herbal and homeopathic remedies and dead sea salts have all helped reduce my inflammations, but have never eliminated the disorder completely. I was vegetarian for 7 years in the 1990s, and that never cleared up my psoriasis either. Because of its progression I've started researching the diet and how it relates to the disorder, and stumbled upon several articles and studies that now link