Skip to main content

Eating healthy while on the road

Traveling gives me such joy  to be out exploring the world and it's many cultures, people, vistas- makes my heart sing. But as someone who has struggled for over a decade with food sensitivities, weight fluctuation due to a thyroid condition, and committed to eating a healthy, plant-based diet, traveling can indeed be a challenge.

Whether there is a language barrier or not, often what I'm looking for simply isn't on the menu  vine ripe, organic, plant-based food.

So if you're new to this way of life and type of eating, you may say "oh screw it," when you're on the road.  But if you're wise to why you're eating this way  for mind, body and spirit  then you may notice that you're more tired, touchy, emotional, sore, restless, and overall just not yourself. Or you may even suffer from physical symptoms, which are perhaps the root of why you're eating this way (IBS, gas, bloating, pain, inflammation, etc.)

The day that I shifted my thinking from deprivation, ("I can't eat that because..." and feeling deprived of the joys of life) to optimization and the value of high vibration eating and living, things shifted for me. I was ok with asking a lot of questions  versus being embarrassed or feeling like I was putting people out, I was ok with educating the person in front of me  after all, they're in the service industry, and they want to serve (well, most of them), and I was ok with committing to what serves my body well.

Over the last ten years I've both succeeded and failed at eating healthy on the road, and here are some of my tricks to staying committed to my health while traveling:

1. Juice Plus
This may sound like a plug, but it's not. The day I committed to making this product part of my life forever is a groundbreaking decision for me. For a nearly decade I had struggled with food intolerances, auto-immune symptoms, and general malnutrition, and those have all but disappeared after 4 years on this product. Now when I travel, I take extra, and take comfort in knowing I'm getting the nutrients from the equivalent of 5 servings of fruits and vegetables in my system every day. I don't get sick while I travel because my immune system is supported, and I don't worry if I don't get all of the fruits and vegetables I know I need each day. Also, if I do have a flare up of inflammation, the Juice Plus Complete powder and an extra dose of the Juice Plus capsules help reduce that almost immediately.

2. Healthy Snacks
Because a plant-based diet doesn't burns off quickly, I always have snacks for between meals. Whether that's nuts, a healthy bar, fruit, or Juice Plus Complete powder, I'm always prepared so I don't get too hungry, hypo-glycemic, fatigued or dizzy, or eat the wrong thing because I'm not focused as a result.

3. Ask questions
Don't be afraid to ask. I was truly shocked to find out that nearly everywhere we went in Ireland  small pubs and cafes included  had gluten free bread. I honestly wouldn't have even asked I don't think, but someone told us early on that it was a staple there now, I asked every time and was pleasantly surprised. As well as finding out what you need to know, I've found that the more you ask, the more the world changes a little for the better  supply and demand. If alternatives to dairy and gluten are needed for more and more people (IE nearly 20% of Italy is now gluten intolerant), the more they will be provided.

4. Stay committed
If you've made a decision to eat healthy, then honor that. You're doing so for your health, your longevity, or another really good reason, and compromising that for laziness or embarrassment isn't worth it.
   a. Educate the people you're with right away. Let them know your dietary restrictions and needs and let them help you stay accountable to that. I know for me, when someone else is helping me stay on track, I have a much better success rate. So welcome the help. You deserve it.
   b. Don't waiver. For me, when I start going down the road of cheating on my commitments, it's a slippery slope. I have a lot of dietary requirements  no gluten, no dairy, no alcohol, no sugar, no meat and it can be overwhelming and frustrating at times to stick to all of that. But the pain I feel as a result isn't worth it, and shifting my mindset to "Food Heals," and "Feed the Body what it needs, not what the brain thinks it wants," helps me stay on track. So long as I don't feel like I'm depriving myself by not having soda and doughnuts (and yes, I used to feel that way), and I remind myself that those kinds of foods bring disease and discomfort, I don't crave them.

5. Come prepared
Know the region that you're traveling to in advance. Know what staples are there for you that you can ask for. Do the research ahead of time  whether it's just the next state over or half way around the world, prepare. We are so lucky that we have the technology to do this kind of pre-travel homework these days, and while we may not feel like we have the time to, make the time to. You'll thank yourself later. Read up on local blogs and reviews, research local chefs with the same healthy mindset, and ask the locals when you get there. We are currently in Trinidad and Tobago, and the locals are really friendly, the local food is really good! I'm pleasantly surprised to find that I am feeling so good and finding it really easy to eat healthy.

I hope this helps you stay on track! 👊 You've got this!

Stay well. You deserve to feel good, and eat better!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Bath Salts

A few weeks back I added two posts for making your own face products. Along that same home-factory-idea line is the typical bath salt. I laugh when I see them in the store for $15, when it's often only $1 of Epsom or Sea Salt and a few drops of essential oil, plus $10 of preservatives you DON'T want on your body! I making salt baths more regularly after a car accident several years ago that left my back in a pretty poor state of health. I was taking a pain-bath about 3-4x a week and it helped immensely. Now I take them for all sorts of reasons: relaxation, menstral cramps, headaches, chest colds, aching muscles, and psoriasis flare-ups. The salt is the base to this so let's start there! SALT First, all salts are sea salts either mined as rock or evaporated from the saline solution. Sea salt is sodium chloride, and is used in cooking and cosmetics. "Dead Sea Salt" is proven to have the highest content of body-healing minerals it it, from the Dead Sea. Table s

Gluten-free Sourdough bread adventure

Throughout my decade of being gluten free, I had never heard this before, but recently at a friends house, I heard a rumor that the gluten in bread breaks down in the process of fermentation with sourdough. The study that this rumor has seemingly sprouted from was done on just 15 subjects in Italy. I won't get into how the wheat in the US is far different from the wheat in Europe, but suffice it to say, it's not the same. At first, this rumor was exciting. Could I actually have bread again? I was sure willing to try! So I took a chunk of my friends long-aged sourdough starter, fed it for a few days (that's the fun part!), and made some sourdough bread! Much to my dismay, the answer is no, I can not, but it sure was an exciting thought! I've been GF long enough to know the immediate physical sensations when I'm going to have a reaction, and I don't press my luck. I had a small piece of this DELICIOUS bread and gave it away, knowing full well tha

Gluten Free for Psoriasis

Recently I've been putting my researching brain cells to work on studying the Gluten Free way of life. Since the age of 14 I have had psoriasis, and recently it's been showing signs of progression to psoriatic arthritis, a progression that occurs in about 20-40% of the cases (studies are still incomplete, although the reverse is 80% of PA patients have had psoriasis, so the two are definitely linked). I've been tested for allergies in the 1980s (none), and I'm a pretty natural consumer as well, so I don't use body products with harmful ingredients like parabens or sulfates. Herbal and homeopathic remedies and dead sea salts have all helped reduce my inflammations, but have never eliminated the disorder completely. I was vegetarian for 7 years in the 1990s, and that never cleared up my psoriasis either. Because of its progression I've started researching the diet and how it relates to the disorder, and stumbled upon several articles and studies that now link