Skip to main content

Kitchen Maintenance

It's been quite a while since we've had a total McGuyver moment in our house, but last weekend's kitchen maintenance was worth a quick post...

At some point last month our freezer started getting warmer, ever so slightly at first, until this month, when it started making water in the ice container. We pulled out the ice tray, cranked the temp knob to max 9, and waited. We turned it on and off, we cranked the fridge temp... nothin'.

Then our fears manifested- there was a considerable amount of water in the foot pan. After asking around, it sounded like we were going to need a new unit entirely, but luckily we aren't inclined to give up that easily.

So we pulled out the unit (unplugged it and turned off the water for safety) and I took off the back panel to find 10 years of nasty, furry dust, as well as a pan full of water. Neither are easy solutions, apparently. I tried to vacuum the dust out with the hand held and the big vacuum, but that dust wouldn't budge. So I gathered about 20 Q-Tips and went into each vent hole like the ones in your car, cleaning each strip one at a time, and used a rag on the rest of the unit until it was about 60% cleaner. Some of the dust was settled too far into the fan unit to reach it, but I have intentions to go back in a few weeks and do it again, next time with something even smaller and longer, like a pipe cleaner.

For the water, a rag (ShamWow!) simply wasn't picking up enough of it, so I got out the turkey baster and removed about 10 cups of water in 20 minutes. A ShopVac would have been better, but we just couldn't have gotten one back there.

There was also a considerable amount of ice buildup inside the freezer that we also scraped off.

We reset the unit (some have buttons, some just need to be unplugged) and within a day we had a freezer again, the filtered water was coming out at least 20degrees colder, and the ice unit was cranking out ice.

Needless to say kitchen appliances don't last forever. Ours is only 10 years old however, and we weren't ready to drop the cash on a new one, so we've learned a couple of valuable lessons!

1. Don't forget to clean out the filters and regularly maintain all appliances so they last as long as they can!
2. Don't buy into the throw-it-away culture we live in. If it's worth fixing, it's probably do-able!
3. But if it does need replacing, look into Craig's List.

We need a chest freezer anyway and had planned on buying a used one this winter, so when the possibility of the freezer dying came into view, I got on Craig's List immediately and found several options in Denver for under $100. There were also a plethora of both Fridge-Freezer units that I feel better about knowing about, just in case! But luckily, for now, our freezer is running like a champ!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Bath Salts

A few weeks back I added two posts for making your own face products. Along that same home-factory-idea line is the typical bath salt. I laugh when I see them in the store for $15, when it's often only $1 of Epsom or Sea Salt and a few drops of essential oil, plus $10 of preservatives you DON'T want on your body! I making salt baths more regularly after a car accident several years ago that left my back in a pretty poor state of health. I was taking a pain-bath about 3-4x a week and it helped immensely. Now I take them for all sorts of reasons: relaxation, menstral cramps, headaches, chest colds, aching muscles, and psoriasis flare-ups. The salt is the base to this so let's start there! SALT First, all salts are sea salts either mined as rock or evaporated from the saline solution. Sea salt is sodium chloride, and is used in cooking and cosmetics. "Dead Sea Salt" is proven to have the highest content of body-healing minerals it it, from the Dead Sea. Table s

Gluten-free Sourdough bread adventure

Throughout my decade of being gluten free, I had never heard this before, but recently at a friends house, I heard a rumor that the gluten in bread breaks down in the process of fermentation with sourdough. The study that this rumor has seemingly sprouted from was done on just 15 subjects in Italy. I won't get into how the wheat in the US is far different from the wheat in Europe, but suffice it to say, it's not the same. At first, this rumor was exciting. Could I actually have bread again? I was sure willing to try! So I took a chunk of my friends long-aged sourdough starter, fed it for a few days (that's the fun part!), and made some sourdough bread! Much to my dismay, the answer is no, I can not, but it sure was an exciting thought! I've been GF long enough to know the immediate physical sensations when I'm going to have a reaction, and I don't press my luck. I had a small piece of this DELICIOUS bread and gave it away, knowing full well tha

Gluten Free for Psoriasis

Recently I've been putting my researching brain cells to work on studying the Gluten Free way of life. Since the age of 14 I have had psoriasis, and recently it's been showing signs of progression to psoriatic arthritis, a progression that occurs in about 20-40% of the cases (studies are still incomplete, although the reverse is 80% of PA patients have had psoriasis, so the two are definitely linked). I've been tested for allergies in the 1980s (none), and I'm a pretty natural consumer as well, so I don't use body products with harmful ingredients like parabens or sulfates. Herbal and homeopathic remedies and dead sea salts have all helped reduce my inflammations, but have never eliminated the disorder completely. I was vegetarian for 7 years in the 1990s, and that never cleared up my psoriasis either. Because of its progression I've started researching the diet and how it relates to the disorder, and stumbled upon several articles and studies that now link